Sunday, November 9, 2008

Zoned Parking Finally Comes to 600 Block of 12th ST!

I moved to this neighborhood in 2007.  It took a little while to get settled, but once I did I began sitting out front observing my block.  See "Exhibit A:"



In the evenings, I began to notice many women forced to park blocks away and walk - by themselves - home.  Why?  Because the 600 Block of 12th St NE was one of the VERY few blocks in this area without zoned parking.  So when people from outside Ward 6 want to come and enjoy the progress (bars) on H St NE, they discovered a little oasis of sorts - our block. 

In addition to the lack of parking for the residents on the block, we also saw a rise in crime.  Why?  Well, let's face it...hoodlums know patterns.  And, they began to realize that the drunk patrons leaving the bars after happy hour would walk on our block.  This truism attracted riffraff and spiked crimes.  Matter of fact, there was one gentleman who lives on the block that has had numerous encounters with these thugs.

So, speaking with my neighbors I realized that many of them wanted zoned parking.  Efforts had been made by other neighborhood residents as well as the current ANC Commissioner.  Yet, disparate members of our communities were unable to agree and the problem left unresolved. 

I called up Tommy Wells and he had his staff draft up the petition.  He sent it to me and I had it filled out by an overwhelming majority of the residents.  The petitions were returned to Tommy Wells and his staff forwarded it to DDOT. 

The people at DDOT were amazing!  A process that we originally thought would take several months turned out to only take a few weeks.  Moreover, rather than mail the letters to me,  a lady from DDOT took it upon herself to hand-deliver the letters to me.  I then hand-delivered them to all of you.  (If anyone on the 600 Block of 12th ST NE hasn't received notice, please email me.) 

It wasn't easy.  Many neighbors needed to be persuaded.  And if I didn't have the help of a few residents of the apartments on the block, we wouldn't be celebrating this victory.  And, I'm willing to bet that the zoned parking will not only help with our parking problems, but also with our crime. 

So, I want to thank all of you who helped in this effort.  Those who signed the petition, those who helped circulate the petition, and those who helped circulate the response.  Thank you!

For more info on zoned parking visit the website.  For now, just marvel at the fruits of your labor!



Together, we can deliver results!

Do you need zoned parking on your block?  Our CHANGE Agents are ready to help!  All we need is your input...

JOIN US!

Come and Be the CHANGE You want to See!

1 comment:

Blog Moderator said...

YOU ROCK-YOU ARE TRULY AN URBAN CANDIDATE OF CHANGE!!

HIPHOPREPUBLICAN.COM