Monday, November 3, 2008

CHANGE Is Comming!

We are almost there! We are on our way! We can sense that CHANGE is coming! Not just to America as a whole, but to Our Neighborhood...to Your Block.

Don't let all of the signs fool you. There is only one candidate in this race who has personally knocked on every door in the neighborhood (well, except my opponent's). And, at an overwhelming majority of those doors no one had ever met my opponent. This is precisely the CHANGE we Need for our neighborhood.

Think about it: who will do a better job representing you...the person who for 6 years didn't take the time to get to know you, or the one has is running on a platform of "restoring a sense of community?" Who will better represent your views?

As I've walked the neighborhood, I've seen many things. I've seen sidewalks in disrepair, streetlights that need to be replaced, and nonstop loitering among other things. But, these are things that are easily solved - if you know the people involved. And, this is the CHANGE you need.

You need an ANC Commissioner who will work hard to ensure that your block is safe. You need an ANC Commissioner that will host regular meetings with his constituents. There have been meetings for ANC 6A. But, have you ever heard of a meeting specifically to address the issues of ANC 6A02?

If you elect me as your ANC Commissioner, I will continue to ensure that all of 6A progresses. But, I will give great attention to the needs of ANC 6A02 - the people who will elect me. And, I want to involve you in the process...

I met a young lady in this district. She lives in an apartment building - blocks away from our current ANC Commissioner. She told me that she has problems with loitering in front of her building. She's called the police, but all they can do is move the loiterers along until they return.

I met a young man who lives in this district. He is a medical doctor and works a hectic schedule. Often times, he gets home late and his young wife is home by herself. He's concerned about the lighting on their block and the potential dangers presented by those dark pockets.

Or, the elderly lady I met just today. She was navigating the sidewalks in front of the Capitol Towers (assisted living). These sidewalks are horrible! Bricks missing...asphalt mixed with bricks...warped and poorly laid bricks. This beautiful lady (and others who live with her) was forced to lift her walker over these poorly laid bricks.

Several months ago, I met a few single women, who live on blocks without zoned parking. They tell me how many tickets they get for having to park in other areas when there's no parking on their blocks. These young ladies told me of their worries in coming home late at night and, being forced to park several blocks from their homes, having to navigate dark streets and alleys by themselves.

This is why we need CHANGE! This is why I'm running for ANC Commissioner! This is why I need your vote and your support!


Tomorrow: Vote #2 - Jabriel S. Ballentine - for Accomplishments and Goals that are Specific to Your Neighborhood.

These things are not complicated. For instance, I took the story of those single women to Councilman Tommy Wells. After we spoke, I took around petitions to all of the residents on the block. Many had to be pursuaded to sign. But, after two month these young ladies and others are happy to now live on a zoned street!

My hope is to do the same across 6A02. Tell me what you need, and I'll go get it for you! But, I need your support. I need you to knock on some doors and talk to your neighbors. And, most of all, I Need Your VOTE. If you will do these things, then we can CHANGE this neighborhood and make it a better reflection of You!

Vote #2 - Jabriel S. Ballentine for ANC 6A02

No comments: