Thursday, October 30, 2008

The Need for CHANGE is Clear

Today, there was a community forum for the residents of Capitol Towers (900 G St NE). My opponent and I were both present. And, something interesting happened...once he spoke, everyone had questions. Not about his candidacy...the residents had questions about the myriad developments and initiatives underway in ANC 6A02 and the surrounding community.

As I sat and listened, I witnessed the perplexed looks on the faces of the residents. No one had ever come to explain these initiatives to the residents. No one had ever come to ask the input of the residents on these initiatives.

All of this to say: the need for CHANGE is clear. Today, several people asked to have meetings with their ANC Commissioner. The seniors living in Capitol Towers should not have to wait for an election season community forum before their ANC representative comes to see them.

You shouldn't have to wait until an election season before you hear from your ANC Commissioner!

We must begin "creating a new community." By now, I have personally knocked on most of the doors in the neighborhood. By the time you go to vote on Tuesday (unless you've voted early), I will have personally knocked on every door - and made contacts in every apartment building - within ANC 6A02.

I knock on your door because I want you to know me. I knock on your door because I want to know you. In response to the question, "what is CHANGE for our neighborhood" I say the change is that you will have a say in the development of your neighborhood.

YOU shouldn't have to wait for election season for your representative to pay you a visit. You should not have to wait for an election to hear a report on the initiatives of the ANC. It shouldn't take an election for you to have the opportunity to voice your concerns.

My goal is to "keep it simple." And, my pledge is that I will engage you in the development of the neighborhood. That's why my campaign literature has a phone number and an email. That's why I've set up this blog and the Google Group. That is why I have begun hosting a monthly meetup. I want to provide you with ample ways to get involved in the development of your neighborhood.

Most of you have told me that you do not know who my opponent is. Most of you have said that you have never met your ANC Commissioner. You have met me. You will continue to see me. You know how to reach me.

As we come close to the end of the campaign, I want you to think about who would be better at representing the specific issues that matter to your block. Ask yourself, you is better suited to serve your interests: someone who never took the time to know you, or someone who's primary purpose is to know you?

We are all caught in the winds of CHANGE...not a figurative change, but a fundamental change in the way politicians do business. In this era of involvement and an egaged constituency, we cannot continue to support those who do not engage the people.

GET INVOLVED!!! Join a group...and,

On November 4th, Vote for CHANGE. Vote #2 - Jabriel S. Ballentine for ANC 6A02 Commissioner. I look forward to serving you.

No comments: